Lead Engineer (m/f/x)
Location:Remote (CET timezone preferred). Offices in Berlin and Dornbirn
Position: fulltime employment
Crate.io are the developers of CrateDB, a global multi-model database, that enables companies to access data insights at scale. The flexible, distributed database solution combines the performance of NoSQL with the power and simplicity of standard SQL. Optimized for large data volumes with high compute and data versatility requirements, CrateDB runs in the cloud, on the edge and on-premise.
In November 2021, Crate.io launched CrateOM, a smart solution for operational processes that turns device data into actionable insights. CrateOM enables digital transformation through real-time insights and in-app communications.
We are a VC and corporate funded global technology company, recognized as cutting edge by both Forbes and Gartner. Crate.io is well funded with $14M+ capital raised in our latest financing round in 2021. We are gearing up for hyper-growth, with offices in the US, Germany, Switzerland and Austria.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for a passionate Senior Software Engineer with experience in people management. You see the big picture and have a talent to align people and foster collaboration? You focus not only on product development but also on delivery to customers? You will coach and lead a distributed team of software engineers developing our CrateOM solution. This role will report to the VP Engineering.
WHAT YOU GET OUT OF THIS OPPORTUNITY
- The ability to develop a leading-edge product and be instrumental in the future roadmap and direction of CrateOM
- Join a leading VC funded tech company from the pre-B stage through the exit
- Contribute demonstrable business impact to Crate’s growth
- Close interaction with Crate’s key customers, partners, and users
- Be part of an open, collaborative culture with “Craties” from diverse backgrounds
WHAT YOU’RE RESPONSIBLE FOR
- Manage, coach, and lead a distributed team of 11 front and backend engineers
- Be responsible for ensuring the success of the team/individual team members, aiding their career growth, and facilitating their technical work
- Contribute to the efficient delivery for time-boxed software releases, ensuring high quality and innovative feature development
- Support the Product Management to build roadmaps and lead technical prioritization, balance the right amount of structure and planning for a fast-paced engineering team
- Work with our Product Management team to ensure requirements and the “why” are clear
- Foster a culture of mutual respect and collaborative decision-making
- Identify staffing requirements and help drive recruitment of high-quality colleagues
- Work closely with all stakeholders to ensure the customer satisfaction
- Relevant Experience (8 years+) as a backend engineer (Python)
- 3+ years of experience managing diverse teams of software engineers
- Experience in DevOps is a big plus
- Performance management experience (development plans, promotions, etc.)
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Experience in working and leading remote teams
- A compassionate approach to communication, empathy and a genuine interest in the success and growth of the people you work with
- Fluent English, German is a big plus but not a must have
WHAT WE OFFER
- Competitive compensation
- Flexible working hours
- Working in a full-remote, distributed team.
- A variety of perks (e.g., financial allowances for public transportation, fitness, and education)
- Participation in our Employee Stock Options Plan
- The opportunity to become part of one of the most exciting startups in the IT scene (Winner of the 2021 IoT Evolution: Industrial IoT Product of the Year Award)
At Crate.io, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it and support it. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender identity