Senior Software Developer
HARDCORE ENOUGH TO ENGINEER A DATABASE?
Are you inspired by open source and an agile work environment?
We are looking for experienced engineers who will contribute to building a new breed of database: a distributed SQL database, aimed at Big Data, that is massively scalable and dead simple to use.
Our company was built in 2013 with the vision of developing a database which is great for users, developers and, most importantly, for back-end services that truly scale. Traditional databases don’t offer this; we’re building the solution!
As a software engineer at Crate.io you will work in small, agile teams and directly impact the future of the product. Our engineers are versatile and always eager to tackle new problems as we continue to push technology forward. We love what we do and are total geeks at heart. Our teams enjoy a great deal of freedom and love to take responsibility for the things they create, which is also supported by our company-wide use of Scrum.
If this sounds like the work environment you want to work in we’d love to hear from you!
We are a deep tech, VC funded startup with offices in Dornbirn (Austria), Berlin, New York and San Francisco.
WHAT YOU GET OUT OF THIS OPPORTUNITY
- Meet new like-minded and genuinely friendly people with international backgrounds
- Be part of awesome team events and smaller activities with your local team
- A result-driven environment that allows you to reach your full potential
- The possibility to immerse yourself in brand new technologies
- Considerable flexibility in all organisational matters
- Great work experience in a renowned and established IT startup
WHAT TO EXPECT ON A TYPICAL DAY
- You will write code at the heart of our next-gen, distributed database
- Test-driven development of high-performance code
- Benchmarks and performance optimizations
- Contribute to upstream projects
- Improve and maintain the tooling around our product lifecycle
- Problem solving with your epic and supportive team members
HOW YOU WILL GET THINGS DONE
- We use scrum to push our product forward
- You think out of the box and are able to find new, creative and if need be, unconventional solutions
- You will fail, make mistakes, and start again - that’s ok. It’s called learning.
- You are an awesome team player
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING TO THE TABLE
- A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, (distributed) algorithms and software design
- Extensive professional (3yr+) experience as a developer
- Proficiency in Java, Python and/or other relevant technologies
- Experience with test driven development
- Fluent English
- Valid work permit for Germany
BROWNIE POINTS FOR
- Experience with asynchronous programming, Netty, Elasticsearch, Lucene, Big Data and Map Reduce (Hadoop, Hive, Presto, Pig), databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle etc.)
- Experience with scrum
- Open Source contributions (please send us your Github etc. Account details)
- Existing public appearances (meetups, conferences)
WHAT WE OFFER
- Marked-based compensation
- Very flexible working hours
- A variety of perks (e.g. financial allowances for public transportation, fitness and education)
- Participation in our Employee Stock Options Plan for longterm employees
- The opportunity to become part of one of the most exciting startups in the IT scene (#2 IOT start-up to watch by Forbes Magazine)
We look forward to hearing from you!